Just a quick post with some cool but unexpected home remedies and cheap tricks to improve your state of mind (and body):
- Chew gum while you're trying to memorize things; it increases blood flow to the brain and can improve recall up to 40%.
- If you spend a lot of time in front of the computer, help save your eyes some strain by doing this exercise every few hours. Look away from the monitor and slowly roll your eyes up and down and then side to side, three times each.
- Caffeine is a natural antidepressant and can improve concentration. Get in in it's most potent and natural form: coffee. Just remember, all in moderation. Too much caffeine can have harmful effects on your nerves and body.
- Peppermint, green apple, and banana scents have been found to curb appetite. Try taking a few whiffs of one of these essential oils when you crave unhealthy food.
- Need to relax? Take deep breaths into your abdomen: place one hand on your stomach and inhale for six counts. Hold for three counts, then exhale slowly. Repeat this six to eight times. This move slows your heart rate and reduces stress hormone levels.
- Did you know that owning at least one cat can lower your risk of a fatal heart attact by 40%? It's true. Get over to your nearest shelter ASAP and pick out a new best bud. You'll help your health and save a life! Remember: never buy from pet stores, don't even think about declawing, and always spay or neuter your pet.
The above tips were taken from the March 2009 issue of Cosmopolitan magazine.