Make a pretty, festive, tapered candle holder for absolutely free with items you have sitting around the house.
pocket knife or craft knife
wide ribbon or scrap of fabric
any plastic container with a spout that roughly fits your candle (I used a small bleach bottle.)
- Cut your container about 2 inches from the top.
- Cut it again about 3 inches from the bottom.
- Discard the middle piece.
- Invert the top piece and insert it into the bottom piece. Glue to secure them together. This is your holder.
- With your knife, cut small notches into the middle of your toothpicks. This isn't essential, but it helps the glue hold them together better. Two of the toothpicks will need one notch on each side; two of them (the top and bottom toothpicks) will only need one notch each.
- Stack your toothpicks in a star formation and glue, preferably with either superglue or a hot glue gun.
- While the star is drying, wrap your ribbon or scrap fabric around the holder and glue in place. Use the rubber bands to hold the ribbon or fabric in place while the glue dries.
- If desired, paint or otherwise decorate the star. Gold glitter looks especially nice in candlelight, I think.
- Once both the holder and the star are dry, glue the star onto the ribbon/fabric. Balance between the candle and the toothpick container until it dries, et voila!