Image by mrlerone via FlickrSpring has finally come to Boston. This weekend I ended my winter-long hibernation and spent as much time outside in the lovely weather as possible, which got me thinking about what fun stuff you can do outside for free (or close to it). Here are some of my favorites:
- Have a picnic. Grab some friends, make some sandwiches, and set out for your local park, riverbank, or other scenic spot.
- Go swimming. If it's warm enough, use a neighbor's or friend's pool, a public pool, or a nearby lake/ocean/river. No pool or beach nearby? Never underestimate the power of a well-placed sprinkler, a few rowdy friends, and a case of cheap beer. Recycle those bottles/cans!
- Ride your bike. Hit the trail or the road. Explore your neighborhood or new parts of your city. If you've got extra time and energy, pack some snacks and an overnight bag and make a road trip out of it.
- Go for a walk/hike. This is another great way to explore your city/neighborhood and get some exercise and vitamin D while you're at it.
- Fly a kite. Take your S.O. or maybe a young niece or nephew, bring extra string and some masking tape for inevitable mishaps, and hit the park or the beach.
- Visit your local botanical gardens, greenhouses, parks, or outdoor exhibits. Check the local newspaper for craft fair listings and other fun outdoor events.
- Play in the garden. Plant a vegetable or flower garden to share with some friends. Or better yet, look into volunteer opportunities to plant trees or do other gardening/landscaping work for a good cause.
- Organize a game. Gather some friends and wage a friendly game of Frisbee, soccer, kickball, or wiffleball.
- Have a BBQ. Get out the grill, light some tiki torches, and call your friends over for a potluck-style evening of kabobs and carousing.
- Hit the beach. Pack a towel, a change of clothes, a water bottle, and a favorite book and head to the nearest beach or sunny spot to catch some rays.
Did I miss something? Leave a comment below and share your idea!
Update: Thanks to Credit Bum for including this post in this week's Money Hacks Carnival.